Thursday, June 25, 2009

June R.S. Presidency Message

Dear Sisters,

I was once asked by a man, who held a responsible position in the
Methodist Church, what made our church unique. I said a quick prayer
and felt impressed to tell him that it was our belief in the gift of revelation,
a privilege that is available to every member of the church who is baptized
and receives the Holy Ghost. This grand privilege is not just for church
leaders, or just men, but women and children also. In 2nd Nephi 32:5,
we read, “For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the
way and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye
should do.”

Lorenzo Snow taught that we can receive inspiration even in the “simplest
of matters”. Our favorite family scripture is Alma 37:37, that begins with
the admonition to “Counsel with the Lord in all your doings and he will
direct thee for good. . . .” It was this very concept as found in James 1:5-6,
that led young Joseph to inquire of the Lord as to what church to join:
“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God , that giveth to all men
liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in
faith, nothing wavering. . .” As I grow older, I realize how much I need the
Lord to guide me in the use of my time, my money, and energies. I need
him to guide me in my repentance and in my study of the gospel.
D&C 45:57 teaches us that those virgins with oil in their lamps are those
who have “received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their
guide, and have not been deceived.” The biggest surprise to me is that
when I remember to include the Lord in my day, the more I realize the
promise that “his yoke is easy and his burden is light, (Matthew 11:30).”
I am often the one who brings upon myself unnecessary burdens by relying
upon my own wisdom and doing things my way. Let us enjoy all the
blessings and tools that God has graciously given us. To the sisters in the
Relief Society, Joseph said, “. . .If you live up to your privileges, the angels
cannot be restrained from being your associates.” (April 28,1842)

Love,
Sister Vicki Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment