Sunday, September 5, 2010

September Presidency Message

The other day I woke up with the song "Have I Done Any Good In the World Today" in my head. It made me think about the upcoming day and the upcoming month to reflect on my blessings and what I could do for those around me. It reminded me of a day not long ago where my sister needed me and I dropped what I thought were important things to go and help her and her kids. Instead of lamenting about the day or grumbling about missed opportunities, we decided to pile into my car and do something fun with the rest of it. I found that my sister and her kids were far more important than any work or social related activity and we had a great time with one another. One of my neices even looks back on that day and reminds me of what a great time we had.

President David O. McKay made this statement: “Man’s greatest happiness comes from losing himself for the good of others.” Last November, President Monson said "Often we live side by side but do not communicate heart to heart. There are those within the sphere of our own influence who, with outstretched hands, cry out, 'Is there no balm in Gilead?'"

"I am confident it is the intention of each member of the Church to serve and to help those in need. At baptism we covenanted to 'bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light.' How many times has your heart been touched as you have witnessed the need of another? How often have you intended to be the one to help? And yet how often has day-to-day living interfered and you’ve left it for others to help, feeling that 'oh, surely someone will take care of that need.'"

"We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the 'thick of thin things.' In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes."

Sisters, you are a great example to me. I see how willing you are to serve others. Without asking you bring someone a meal or help them in some other way. You have such love and concern for those around you. How blessed we are to have you as a part of our ward family.

During the month of September, I encourage each of you to think about the upcoming month and reflect on what you can do for those around you. Pray and ask the Lord to help you have opportunities to serve those around you. I know that as you do this, you will find joy and many opportunies will come.

Sis. Leslie Marchant

No comments:

Post a Comment